GPG Configuration on Windows for Secure Mail
Prev | step 2 of 5 | Next
Generate a new GPG key
- In the command window generate a new GPG key
- Type gpg --gen-key
- Choose the type RSA (sign only)
- Choose size 4096
- Choose expiration key does not expire
- Enter your Real name: Foo Bar
- Enter your e-mail address: email@example.com
- Select Okay and do some serious web surfing to keep your computer busy to create entropy while your key is generated!
- Guard your GPG passphrase carefully
- Your GPG key passphrase is like the password to your identity:
take care in choosing a good password. It's actually better if
it's not just one word, but a few words.
- Do not lose this passphrase: it is impossible for anyone to recover it.
- Make a note of your "Key ID"
- Write down the 8 hexidecimal digit key identifier (in the screenshot below it's 1C9771DB)
- Proceed to the Next step